You probably don't need us to tell you how gross cockroaches are if you live in Manhattan. For many New Yorkers, cockroaches are just a part of the "experience," but we are here to tell you that this shouldn't be the case, and no one should have to deal with this pest.
Cockroaches are not only gross but dangerous. They are responsible for spreading pathogens such as streptococcus, staphylococcus, E. coli, and salmonella. Cockroaches can also trigger allergies and asthma. Along with contaminating food and surfaces, cockroaches can destroy your personal belongings as they will eat just about anything.
American cockroaches, German cockroaches, and Oriental cockroaches are all species that infest New York properties. No matter the species, and no matter if you are a renter, homeowner, or property manager, you should know the signs of an infestation and what to do about prevention and eradication.
Have You Noticed Any Signs Of Cockroaches?
Rarely will adult cockroaches be the first sign of an infestation. This is because they are great at hiding, are quick, and nocturnal. Signs you should look for to determine if you have an active infestation are:
- Shed skin and egg capsules
- A damp and unpleasant odor
- Dark markings, which will be in areas of high activity
- Droppings that look like coffee grounds or black pepper
- Damage to food packaging and other items
Cockroach Prevention Tips For Manhattan Residents
If you don't see any of the signs listed above, prevention tips are the place to start to keep these nasty critters out. Tips to use:
- Seal Potential Entry Points: If you are a homeowner or property manager, inspect and seal cracks in your property's foundation and exterior walls. You should also fill in gaps around doors, windows, and air conditioning units.
- Address Any Moisture Issues: Check for leaking pipes and faucets.
- Store Properly: Put food in airtight containers, promptly clean up crumbs and spills, and don't leave dirty dishes or pet food out overnight.
- Remove Trash: Promptly remove all garbage regularly.
- Declutter: This is helpful to remove places cockroaches hide.
- Deep Clean: Clean underneath places usually forgotten, like heavy appliances and inside cupboards.
These prevention tips are essential in helping to reduce the conducive factors that attract cockroaches to your home. However, they are not always 100% effective, and cockroaches might still find their way in through no fault of your own. If this does happen, don't try to eliminate them on your own because it is nearly impossible.
Professional Cockroach Control For Manhattan Residents
If you see cockroaches or signs of an infestation, the best thing to do is contact professionals. Manhattan renters, homeowners, and property managers should call Broadway Pest Services right away. Our cockroach control process includes:
- A thorough inspection to determine what cockroach species you are dealing with, where they are most active, and the severity of the infestation.
- Two different treatment methods; bait gel and fogging. Bait gel will kill not only cockroaches that come into contact with it but will have a domino effect, making its way through the infestation. Fogging will flush cockroaches out of their hiding places, allowing us to eradicate the entire infestation.
As pest control experts in New York City, we understand the dangers and difficulties of cockroaches. But you don't have to share your home with this pest. Contact us at Broadway Pest Services for cockroach control and prevention. With our expertise, your home will be cockroach-free.