HOW TO GET RID OF ROACHES? TO GET RID OF ROACHES, INSPECTION IS THE FIRST AND FOREMOST STEP, ALONG WITH AN ACTION PLAN FOR BAITING.
THE ONLY ROACH EXTERMINATOR IN NYC
Cockroaches can be an extremely frustrating, dirty and destructive pest in a home or business setting. Whether you are concerned for your Brooklyn apartment, your NYC office building or your Manhattan penthouse, let Broadway Exterminating tackle cockroach control for you. There are three main species of cockroaches commonly found as pests in New York City and surrounding areas: The German Cockroach, the Oriental Cockroach, and the American Cockroach. Although they are closely related, their different habits and biology requires proper identification and specialized treatment for effective control.
The Most Effective Way to Eliminate Roaches
It’s true that we have treated thousands of apartments and businesses for cockroaches in the 40 years we have served the New York area. In that time we’ve been educating people about the best way to eradicate roaches. Applications and treatments will do some good, but there is an even more important way people can keep roaches at bay. One thing that is true for roach control in general, however, is that treatment is most effective when conducive conditions (such as moisture problems, sanitation issues, and harborage areas) are corrected first. So expecting the pest control technician to come and apply some magical product that will make the roaches go away overnight, you are bound to be disappointed. The most effective cockroach control usually requires both chemical and non-chemical measures.
The German cockroach is the most common cockroach encountered by exterminators in New York. It is found in apartments, supermarkets, food service facilities, hotels and pretty much anywhere else food, moisture, and warmth can be found. Adult German Cockroaches are about 5/8 of an inch in length, have full wings (but, curiously, don’t fly, although they appear to have the musculature and nerve connections necessary to do so), and have two dark bands running lengthwise down their pronotum.
German cockroaches are vectors of many serious diseases. They are known to be involved in the transmission of food poisoning, salmonella, dysentery, and typhoid. They also are known to trigger asthmatic reactions, and some people are highly allergic to their secretions and shed skins. Their significance as health vectors, their prolific reproductive potential, and their knack for becoming resistant to each new generation of insecticides developed to control them, make cockroach extermination a job for a professional.
Commonly (and incorrectly) called “waterbugs” or “palmetto bugs,” American Cockroaches are large roaches that can achieve lengths of one and a half inches as adults. They are mainly brown in color, with a yellowish or brownish margin around the edge of their bodies.
American cockroaches favor warm, dark, moist areas and frequently are found in basements, utility areas, under bathtubs, in sewers and utility chaseways, and sometimes in outdoor areas (especially around garbage cans or dumpsters) during warm weather.
American roaches run away rapidly when disturbed or when the lights are turned on, and adults sometimes fly. Control methods vary depending on location, severity of the infestation, and availability of food and water.
If you would like to discuss or hire us for Cockroach Control for your apartment or business please call 212-663-2100 or use the contact form to get a response via email.
Today, professionals most often use gel bait insecticides to control and eliminate roaches. This requires the placement of small beads of gel bait in areas where cockroaches are known or expected to harbor, travel, or feed.
The following lists some of our requests or recommendations for cockroach control – and should also be followed prior to using any over-the-counter pest control products yourself. (When using any pesticide, read and follow all labels and MSDS and guidelines prior to purchase and use.)
- Clean and de-clutter the apartment prior to the pest control visit, and maintain the apartment as neatly as possible for long-term results. This helps to eliminate competing food sources for the insects. When the apartment is clean, the roaches are more easily attracted to the bait and not to food sources.
- Cover and store any open food. Remove foods, small appliances, and other small items from countertops.
- Store and/or cover baby toys, supplies and crib mattress.
- Mop/scrub kitchen and other hard floors and woodwork with detergent. Thoroughly vacuum carpeted floors.
- Vacuum up any visible roaches and eggs just before the service visit, using the crevice attachment to get into cracks. After vacuuming, take the vacuum cleaner outside, remove the vacuum bag, seal it, and discard in trash. Take a damp cloth and wipe down the entire vacuum cleaner. Continue to vacuum or otherwise kill any roaches that are seen.
- Always keep garbage in closed containers and take out the garbage every night.
- Remove items from the top of the refrigerator, stove, and any other such movable appliances. Prior to service, move these appliances away from the wall, and clean behind and beneath them. If the stove has a removable bottom drawer that opens to the floor, it is not necessary to move the entire stove.
- Be sure that the pest control operator has free and full access to anywhere that roaches have been seen (or anywhere specified by the PCO).
- Discard all excess paper products, and any other unused piles or trash, as these are harborage areas for roaches and other pests.
- Owner or tenant should repair any water leaks immediately upon detection; apartment residents should report the leak to maintenance immediately upon detection.
- If anyone in the apartment has special allergy problems, is pregnant, or is under the age of one, the PCO should be informed prior to service and precautions taken. All people and pets should stay out of the area being serviced for the length of time specified by the PCO.
- After service, keep sanitation to as high a level as possible to allow all products to work as swiftly as possible. Do not touch cockroach gel or allow children or pets to get near.
Baiting for Cockroaches seems to be the best method to control all types of Cockroaches. From German to the American or Water bug, baiting allows a domino matrix. Put simply if one roach ingests the bait, other roaches will die from eating this dead roach, creating a domino effect.
Another effective method for roach control is to spray a fogging agent that “flushes” the roaches out of their hiding spots.
The most important part of cockroach control is maintaining a clean environment that is not conducive to roach population growth.