American cockroaches in particular are known for troubling homes and businesses in Manhattan. They can get indoors without much effort, and they hide in places that are hard to reach. Given this, these bugs aren’t the easiest to combat. By reading more about them now, you’ll learn how to get the better of them with the help of Broadway Pest Services.
How Do American Cockroaches Look & Behave? What Are the Risks?
American cockroaches don’t originate in this country, but they have come to be dominant. Adult roaches are sizable, being able to reach 3 inches long. Their winged bodies are mahogany or reddish-brown. Behind their heads is an outlining yellow band in the shape of the number 8. Though they can fly, they only soar short distances.
These cockroaches are primarily outdoor bugs, as they prefer moist and warm settings. Around mulch, gardens, flowerbeds, trees, and sewers is where you’ll find them. However, they’ll enter your property looking for food and water. Typical entry points are openings near doors, windows, and foundations. From there, they’ll settle in kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, and basements.
Key signs of infestation are:
- Eggs: You may see casings or eggs in the basement, laundry room, or kitchen. Look around cabinets, appliances, and stored items. They will be brown, with a mix of black or red.
- Droppings: American cockroach fecal pellets are ridged and have rounded ends. They’ll be found in the same spots as the eggs.
- Odors: These roaches emit musty communication chemicals that will become more evident as the infestation grows.
As mentioned before, cockroaches spread bacteria that lead to illnesses. On their bodies and in their urine, feces, and saliva are countless spores. Of course, the amount skyrockets as they wander through the filth. Their legs have spines that can attach to microbes and fluids. When they crawl across a surface or in food, they contaminate it. Subsequently, you could catch a virus or pathogen. Additionally, you’ll be vulnerable to diseases and physical symptoms like salmonella, gastroenteritis, asthma attacks, and allergic reactions. Last, but not least, American cockroaches can damage paper materials and fabrics.
How Can You Prevent American Cockroaches?
Take these steps to ward off American cockroaches:
- Patch up holes near windows, doors, foundations, and utilities.
- Have moisture issues and leaks repaired.
- Put sweeps on all exterior doors.
- Trim grass and greenery regularly.
- Place plants two feet or more from the exterior walls.
- Put food and trash in airtight containers.
- Remove garbage, vacuum, and wash dishes frequently.
What Can Broadway Pest Services Do About American Cockroaches?
Trying to defeat American cockroaches on your own with retail products will be a waste of time and money. DIY methods tend to have low effectiveness, and they do nothing to resolve entryways or infestation centers. Moreover, some are hazardous to use. If you want efficiency, safety, and success, contact us at Broadway Pest Services.
Our expert technicians will accurately identify nests and how cockroaches are getting in. They’ll utilize our industrial-grade gels, baits, and/or fogs curated to exterminate these critters. Our team will share prevention approaches with you for future use as well. Stay healthy and protect your belongings! Call us today!